Family Fun in Phoenix
The Phoenix metro area has a huge variety of activities for kids and families. From amusement parks to an amazing zoo, there’s no shortage of things to do. Still, a day’s outing can get pricey when you have children in tow, and free events are always welcome!
Below are ten things you can do for free in Phoenix with your kids this spring and summer.
- Dinosaurs are always a kid favorite and you can see them for free the first Sunday of every month at the Arizona Museum of Natural History. With exhibits ranging from fossil displays to full-size exhibits, this is a fascinating free event for the entire family.
- The McCormick-Stillman Railroad park offers both history and entertainment for kids and parents alike. For the railroad enthusiast, it features train cars, model railroads, and rail-themed artifacts and displays. If you’re not content with simply looking, there are also two playgrounds, train rides, a carousel, and a botanical garden. Admission is free, but rides require a ticket which can be purchased for a minimal fee.
- Climb aboard a replica stagecoach and see what travel was like before the days of cars at the Wells Fargo Museum. It features a real Wells Fargo stagecoach from the 19th century, as well as other historical displays. You can even send a telegraph!
- Mighty Mud Mania is an annual celebration that involves a whole lot of playing in the, well, mud. Race through an obstacle course filled with mud pits, visit the muddy town of Mudville, or indulge in some freeform fun in one of the open mud pits. The event also includes water slides, food vendors, and more. If you’ve ever made a mud pie – or wanted to – this event is for you! It happens on June 11th at Chaparral Park.
- Cabela’s is much more than a hunting and fishing outfitter – it’s also an educational experience. With more than 400 animals from an elephant to a mouse on display, it’s the next best thing to going to the zoo. There’s even an aquatic display of native Arizona fish.
- If there’s a budding artist in your family, check out the Chalk Art Festival on April 30. Watch talented artists create amazing street art with chalk, or grab a stick of chalk yourself and help create the community mural. Kids can play in the KidZone and there are three different locations for this free event.
- Aspiring Tony Hawks will be happy to know there are six public skate parks scattered across the metro area. Whether you’re a newbie skater or a pro, there’s a park to suit your style. Some are even open to inline skaters.
- Beat the heat with Summer Splash on Tuesdays this June and July. Every Tuesday from 11 a.m. till 12:30 p.m., you can splash in the splash pad, dance, play games and win prizes at the AMC Fountain. You can even have your picture taken with favorite film characters like Elsa from Frozen, Princess Leia, or even Batman.
- Have you ever wondered how candy is made? The Cerreta Candy Company offers two free tours each day. See how candy is made at this family-owned confectionery.
- A tour of the Stuffington Bear Factory will make you look at toys in a whole new way. Take the tour and learn not just how stuffed animals are made, but the history of the teddy bear. Admission is free, but for a price, you can stuff your own bear and take it home.
After a day of family fun, everyone is sure to be hungry. Stop by one of the four Sardella’s Pizza locations in the Phoenix area to finish your day with a great family meal of pizza, pasta and more. We are proud to offer an Everyday Family Special – including pizza, pasta with meatballs and garlic knots – for just $24.99, and it’s only $20.99 on Sundays! We know it will be the perfect ending to your wonderful day!